Saturday, May 1, 2010

Interview with VCU signee Reco McCarter

Reco McCarter was the 2nd commitment for Shaka Smart in the 2010 class and is one of the headliners of this year's recruiting class. My write-up during the Fab Five series covered him in detail. McCarter was a Rivals150 prospect for much of his recruitment (128 then 147 during his junior year) and is ESPN's highest ranked CAA recruit with a grade of 91(#32 SF). He boasted offers from a plethora of major-conference schools and according to Shaka Smart had visited Oklahoma and Georgia before ultimately picking VCU. He has been a 1st team 1A selection out of North Carolina the past 2 years running in a division that included John Wall, CJ Leslie, Dezmine Wells, Ian Miller and a bunch of big name players. Reco is peer among them and has Ram fans all over the nation excited to see what he brings to the court next year. He is a 6'7 small forward with NBA range on his 3-pointer and while streaky, he can burn you from the outside or take it to the rack and punish the rim. His dunk on consensus top-15 national prospect and NC State commit CJ Leslie has made him somewhat of an internet sensation garnering over 10,000 views since December. Reco was gracious enough to spend a few moments with the Report to answer a few questions.

RRR: On behalf of the Ram Nation I’d like to express our excitement at your decision to be a part of the future of VCU basketball.

RRR: You were pursued by many schools from many different levels, what made VCU the right fit for you in your mind?

RECO: To be honest, I really fell in love with Coach Smart and Coach Wade. I felt like they were young guys who were on the rise but all they needed were MORE talented guys like Myself, Rob, DJ, J.Reddic, and Toby.

RRR: Over the course of your recruitment, which schools did you have offers from?

RECO: Clemson, N.C State, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Virginia Tech (besides VCU).

RRR: When you ultimately chose to commit to VCU, which schools did you have offers from or have visits scheduled for?

RECO: The same ones I narrowed it down to Georgia, Oklahoma, and VCU.

RRR: Which NBA or college player would you say your game most resembles and why?

RECO: I'm me....I don't think there is really no one my game resembles cause I just flat out PLAY!

RRR: What do you think your greatest strength as a player is?

RECO: My quickness and my ability to make plays on the offensive and defensive end! Like I said I just flat out PLAY!

RRR: What role do you see yourself playing at VCU next year?

RECO: Whatever role Coach Smart and the rest of the coaching staff wants me to play... ;)

RRR: North Carolina has been a real hot-bed for bringing out great basketball players. How did competing against guys like CJ Leslie, Rodney Purvis, Brian Richardson, Jeremy Jeffers, John Wall etc. help prepare you for the next level in college?

RECO: Playing against those guys I developed the attitude that I have to play hard night in and night out!

RRR: When did you start hearing from the VCU staff about playing at VCU and who was the primary person in your recruitment?

RECO: The beginning of summer '09...Coach Smart was my primary recruiter! That's how I knew that VCU was serious about getting me there!

RRR: You wore 32 in high school and Brandon Rozzell currently sports 32 for VCU. What number do you think you’ll wear at VCU?

RECO: I chose to wear number 25!

RRR: You attended the last couple of VCU games at the Siegel Center during the CBI. What did you think of the atmosphere and fans at VCU?

RECO: I love it...I can't wait to get the crowd pumped up next year!

RRR: Anything you want to say to VCU fans?

RECO: I can't wait to meet all you guys personally and VCU fans will be very excited about the fab five coming in next year! We're looking to win and bring MORE excitment!

RRR: Thanks so much for your time Reco and we can’t wait to see you take the court for VCU!

No comments:

Post a Comment